Friday, October 02, 2009

Organizing for holiday gift giving and holiday guests.
I worked with an organizer years ago and I learned that big, easy to read labels on things it helps you and visitors to your home know where things belong.

I use big labels to help my gift purchases organized. have a line of laundry baskets in the attic each labeled with a group. My eldest sisters family has a labeled basket as does my middle sisters family and my girlfriends and guy friends and their family. As I travel or find a good sale and purchase presents throughout the year I put the present in the appropriate basket with the price tag on it and the receipt taped to it. Just before Thanksgiving I go through the baskets and find out who still needs presents and make a list. I take my list with me for the day after Thanksgiving to finish all my purchases.

I am not typically super organized but I love to have the house ready when I have guests. When company comes to my house for the holiday I label all the kitchen drawers and cabinets with their contents. Silverware, Coffee and Tea stuff, Glasses, Plates, Saran wrap, garbage bags, snacks etc. and I do the same for the fridge the pantry, the mop and vacuum closet and the shelves in the guest bath closet. I leave canned drinks stacked in the corner of the kitchen. With everything labeled or in view. That way people can help themselves and I am not answering shouts of “where are the tea bags?” all week. I also have fold out luggage racks like they have in hotels in the guest bedrooms and have over the closet door hooks for bathrobes and towels in the guest bedrooms. I also put a stack of old paper backs buy each bed according to guests tastes and have a coffee maker in the big guest bedroom with a try filled with coffee and tea goodies so guests don’t have to worry about getting dressed or disturbing others to get their first cup of coffee.