Tuesday, March 08, 2011

I met my best friend Roy at summer orientation before our freshman year of college. I looked across the room saw this big six four Nordic blond as he turned and smiled at me and said, "There is my lifes best friend." We were so close, our friends thought we were twins. The relationship was so strong, but completely platonic. When I was in my Doctoral program and Roy was working as a social worker, Roy Invited me to Visit. As we walked around the Park told me he had AIDS. As he got sicker we each made a promise. He was done to 75 pound, in horrible pain and was being fed by a portable drip. I at Five feet one could carry him around his apartment. He wanted to unplug he IV's that fed him when it got really bad. He talked me through his plan. I promised not to let the doctors revive him if I found him. I asked him to promise me to tell me goodbye before he left. I worked as a temp receptionist in Atlanta because I didn't want to be on the road traveling with Roy so ill, but I was offered a two week job out of town at a time I desperately needed money. On my visit with Roy before I left town, we talked and I helped lift him to go to the bathroom. and I laid at the foot of his bed we talked. He was so frail and gaunt and I knew he was ready to go and that in some part he was holding on for me. I left him a letter saying I knew he was holding on and I knew he didn't want to leave me, but if he was in too much pain it was OK, I loved him. While I was gone he pulled out his IVs. My time away, niether he nor his roomate mentioned he was dying. That kindness was very much Roy. When he was finally taken to the hospital. His family, who didn't even know he was sick, came to the hospital and I told them his wish so they would not go overboard with reviving him. He came out of the coma and said goodbye. I kept my promise.

No comments: