Thursday, June 25, 2009

I am a professional speaker and body language expert. I coach people to improve their interviewing skills.

I just read a blog about calling a recruiter to get a job. The writer emphasized the importance of using a story or of telling your story to help you land a job.
Yes you need to hit the emotional brain of the recruiter so they will remember you. I watch the biography channel and I constantly quote "stories" of famous people that I have heard on the show. I remember the fact because it was told in story form. In my book "Going UP!- Creating and Telling Your Elevator Speech I show readers how to create the story of their talents and strengths as they look for jobs or seek business contacts or customers. Below is a bit of the blog.
Patti Wood
Body language expert
www.PattiWood.net

bloghttp://www.careercollegecentral.com/node/943
phone calls:

“Hi Donna, I sent you my résumé last week. I was just wondering if you have any contacts in my field or job openings that fit my background. I look forward to hearing from you.”


Hmm. This is not exactly a successful networking approach, albeit common. Why are these people losing the attention of me and other recruiters? Simple. They are not selling us on why we should talk to them. They haven’t proven their value, and exactly why we should take time from our additional business obligations to read their profile. Rather, they have emailed me, and are asking me to research them, then align my job openings to their skills. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way!

The “Do’s” of Engaging with a Recruiter:

When it comes to a career search, it’s about likeability! I don’t like being told by someone whom I don’t know or trust yet to go and “do research” about them. Candidates need to get away from this informal email communication style. It may save time in their present work environment. But in this market, candidates need to get back to relationship-based selling! Networking with anyone, especially recruiters, is about talking, building rapport, and getting people to want to work on your behalf. Hopefully, it will become mutually beneficial for both parties.

So how can candidates work more effectively with recruiters? Here are a few “Smart Tips” from my viewpoint as a career coach:

Be prepared like a politician! Have your résumé smart and professionally prepared. Make strong value statements, and ensure that your accomplishments are summarized and memorized. This is not limited to sales and marketing, either. This approach needs to be followed in all industries and for all functions. Know why you are powerful to an organization and be prepared to say it.

Storytelling matters. Don’t assume the recruiter or the hiring authority understands what you do just from your title. Be prepared to succinctly tell specific stories around the accomplishments you listed in your résumé. Storytelling demonstrates your ability to communicate. It engages people, and that’s how they will remember

No comments: